Monday, May 21, 2007

Loose Thoughts for a rainy Monday


When we developed our languages the intention was to communicate what's in our minds, show came first, then came tell. The concept represented in the word God, which by the way, is the only factual thing in this enchilada, came into existence among us to fulfill a perceived need in our communication. Now, we can ask, which is that need? I go through my life doing things, observing things (note here the meaning of observation), and learning things. In all my endeavors I didn't ever come across with any aspect of the Universe which might demand the participation of such concept called God.
However, some people apparently get something out of it. What's that something?
So far what appears to be the primordial need fulfilled by it, is to skip facing their own ignorance. God did this and that, and that's that, no need to torture ourselves, and look how easy is to replace the ignorance, with the certainty that a God is responsible for whatever aspect baffles them. No more ignorance, but "real knowledge, god-based", which in turn can be thrown in the ring any time somebody would question them. With the added incentive that it nicely justifies their unfounded righteousness and excuses their power grabs and abuses.
If that god is in turn questioned, there is always the counter play of claiming victimization, personal attacks, disingenuousness, what have you, anything that diverts the issue from showing their ignorance and incompetence. How many people dress themselves in this description and don't even know it?

Funny thing, the "gaps". That's exactly the aim of scientific research. We strive to fill the "gaps". They are our focus, our guiding light, what absorbs most of our time while we are awake. As a mother of this fact, poor misused child, we welcome people that help us to keep track of the "gaps" so we don't lose sight of what really needs to attend to. But, and this isn't your butt, we haven't found the need to avoid those "gaps" by filling in fantasies of lesser or greater gods which are dreamed to have done what Nature (with capital N, given the well deserved recognition it enjoys) actually does. Nor we have to hide our ignorance behind a make-believe Theoxenius, waiting for it to bail us out of our predicaments. See, we aren't lazy. We take the time to observe, study, research, experiment, checking our facts, rechecking them again, drawing conclusions, questioning our conclusions, and helping each other to increase our knowledge of the Universe. We aren't trying to stop humankind in their quest for real knowledge, and we don't invest any pride in what we find, rather use it as a reminder of what much more is to be found if we persevere. Our goal is to banish ignorance, not to foster it, so the ignorant wouldn't challenge what we say.
Perhaps some day those people would fully understand this, albeit it's doubtful. It requires humility which they neither really have nor show. Some love to argue, so to show their IQ's. But there aren't any apparent goals of helping the advancement of our humankind to be found even in the smallest portion of their spiel.
It takes a real scientist to bring the "gaps" to life from the ashes of time, nurture them, care for them, until like the Phoenix, they would rise anew as immortal knowledge. Those who hide behind pretender gods, hate the "gaps" while trying at the same time to use them for excuse of their ignorance.

A reality, by the mere fact of being. already proved being viable, it might not be to the liking of those included in it, but really feelings don't matter for what that reality is. "We" need to deal with those feelings, to affect "our" inner reality (which isn't anything more than our perceptual understanding of that outer reality). Same thing goes for functional and meaningful.

OK... Like I said before what Shakespeare used to say "I'm deadly serious"
My hobbies are avocations, which luckily work as vocations in my present life. To begin, teaching, by that I mean, helping others to find the answers they seek, sometimes without knowing they sought them. Then, I like to work with my hands, physical work, carpentry, home remodeling, landscape artist (green thumb according to my wife, her mother, and quite a few of my friends and acquaintances), walks through nature's offerings, fishing, canoeing, communicating with my fellow animals, painting, and fundamentally writing (poetry, fiction, essays, letters, you name it... I'm a lover of words). History and universal knowledge in that order get my undivided attention. Community work is what I like the best, I'm always volunteering for something. Luckily I don't need much sleep, because I always manage to find something to add to my list. Privileges that age bestows on an old guy like me.
And debate was always something I did enjoy. I trained with my father, who never ceased to argue nor left something unanswered.
One thing I do not waste time on, is religious activities. I have plenty keeping up with conversations with my own soul. More interesting than most chats around.
Is it serious enough?

1 comment:

gnosticserenity said...

Namaste Frank, I don't know... I think gardening... landscaping... is a religious activity. LOL It is there that I commune with the Divine. But then... my vision of the Divine/God is different from Michaelangelo's... although I think God's fave joke is "Pull my finger." LOL Love to you.