Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Letter to my fellow American


Moments ago one of us entered the Capitol in the company of his wife, his mate and his mate's wife… The notes of Hail the Chief were dying off while many in the Mall were swinging in its rhythm… The merciless clock which measures our span had eaten the seconds and minutes of this eventful hour, the words had been said and their echo had carried them towards a winter sky, crispy noon lending its light to the vast city and its multitude… This one of us, wearing on his ordinary shoulders the extraordinariness of the circumstances, was showing in his smile, the humble acceptance of his great responsibility. Beyond the congratulations and the laudatory expressions of the diverse party of officials, family and friends, the words pronounced earlier were floating over the gathered people…
I used to easily remember the sayings of the people, especially in this kind of extraordinary circumstances, not this time however, perhaps caught in the enormous significance of these wondrous events… but I know, from the bottom of my soul, that this one of us haven't disappointed my expectations.
This one of us, our sworn servant, spoke truthfully to us. He didn't make promises that we didn't make… what he promised is what we would have promised in this day… as a matter of a fact… he promised what most of us had already promised to ourselves and to others…
He didn't say what he was going to do in the days ahead. Being truthful, he spoke of what "we" were to do in the days in front of us… I know it to be truth, because that's exactly what I intend to do… He didn't count the friends and the enemies… Being faithful, he spoke of how we should be our brother's keeper… I recognized it to be truth, because I understood his words, I comprehended that it wasn't a matter of becoming a caretaker of my brother, but the one to bring a hand in help so my brother could walk again… and I see that everybody, everyone, is my brother… no borders… no colors… no gods… to make us different from each other…
He didn't say that he had all the solutions that our predicament required… Being truthful, he assured us that "we" had the solutions as far as we were willing to stand up and dust ourselves off and go to work. He was right. No man, no god, or God, would gift us with what we need, but making the decision of going to work, together, in ensemble or individually, we could accomplish, we could achieve, whatever we wish as long it was for our common good. He was right, and I know it to be true, because I know it, I have experienced it, and had witnessed it, that together, no matter how difficult, how dire, or hard, might be what life would bring to our table, we shall overcome, as we had overcome in the past.
I am writing this, my fellow American, in the hope you will hear me, because I want you to know, in the bottom of your heart, that I wish to be counted in this march which we have started today, at high noon, in our Capital City, and in every corner of our wonderful country… and I intend to stick to it…

No comments: